Vegan, Plant-Based, Vegetarian, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
You don’t have to be vegan to enjoy plant-based meals. Maybe, that is an unpopular opinion, but there it is! This Masala Chickpeas with Brown Rice is a prime example of that. Protein packed chickpeas simmered in our delicious, flavorful, creamy Tikka Masala sauce make such a lovely dinner combo for any busy weeknight!
Guju Sauce Used: Tikka Masala Indian Sauce
Source of Inspiration:
Our Tikka Masala Indian Sauce is amazing served with chickpeas and cilantro, and a side of fluffy brown rice. This is a perfect meal to prepare on a busy weeknight, bonus points if you can prepare your rice in a rice cooker or Instant Pot to save even more time!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 cup dry brown rice (or 3 cups cooked)
- 1 14.5-ounce can of chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup of Guju Tikka Masala Indian Sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Optional: Toasted pita bread
- If cooking your brown rice, cook according to its instructions. If using cooked brown rice, make sure it is heated through.
- Add chickpeas to a small saucepan.
- Pour Guju Red Pepper Sauce in the saucepan and season with sea salt and black pepper. Stir well.
- Simmer until chickpeas and sauce are hot, about 5-7 minutes, stirring often. Stir in chopped cilantro.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately, with brown rice and optional toasted pita bread, storing any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Notes or about the recipe: Keep canned legumes in your pantry to create delicious meals such as this one. If you don’t have access to chickpeas, lentils make a great substitution!
Back to Recipes